Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, August 31, 2009

Caitlin's First Days of Kindergarten


Caitlin’s first day was great!

She didn’t eat all of her breakfast (said her tummy was nervous) but then she started bouncing around the house saying she was happy and excited! As we headed out the door to go to Big Mamma’s house she put on her back pack for the first time and said, “Oh, my neck! Oh, my back! This backpack is sooo heavy, Mom! You have noooo idea how it feels!!!” I had to break the news that it only gets heavier and yes, I do know how it feels!! Oh my goodness, she’s like a 30 year old stuck in a 5 year old body!!

They encourage you to take your child to school the way you will the rest of the year on the first day so we got into Big Mamma’s car and headed to the school…

I took lots of pics on the way and before we left and then we pulled up to the front of the school and a teacher opened the car door and took her hand and led her away to help her to the classroom! I got a picture of them walking away. It was pretty weird watching that.

I'm pretty sure I got all the tears out the night before becuase although I had a lump in my throat when she was led away, I did not cry. I was worried all day about her getting home safely, but I think having Caitlin in Montessori for the last year helped. She learned so much there and was pretty sure of herself about going to Kindergarten. I was sure she was going to have a great time there.

When I got the report that she got picked up safely by Big Mamma (one hour late due to the length of the pickup line due to the fact that there are no more buses in our area due to the economy - another story for another time!) my heart fell back into place and I knew that all would be ok.

The rest of the first week was not so good. She came home to report to me that she was not happy because she was not making friends as fast as she'd like to and thought it would be more like Montessori (not so big) and that she'd know EVERYONE and have had made friends with EVERYONE by end of day 2 (I'm telling you, she's my little social butterfly!)! I was worried but finally sent an email to the teacher on Friday night and got confirmation that she is doing just fine - making friends left and right and, I quote, "she does not seem to know a stranger!" I was so excited to hear that she is really doing ok and I think that she is just trying to get my attention at home. I think she is starting to feel some anxiety about Madison coming into the picture. She's been THE ONE AND ONLY for 5 years and now all of a sudden we are focusing our attention on getting things ready for someone else and she is acting a little differently. I think she will be fine at school and once Madison arrives we will all go through some adjustment period...but I can't wait :)

Here are the pictures of Caitlin's first day at school...

About to leave Big Mamma’s house…Caitlin was very excited. Mommy and Big Mamma were nervous.



Caitlin with her Big Mamma


Riding in the car and waiting in line to drop her off…


Her face says to me says, “Mom, are you sure I should go with this lady??”

The teacher took her by the hand and led her towards the school doors.
She got safely to her classroom and enjoyed the first day with her teacher, Ms. Staff.

This is a note that her teacher had us write and return so that she could read it to our child the first week of school.



4 comments:

Aspiemom said...

That's so neat. She's such a little grownup, isn't she? I'm glad she's doing well.

I'm sure there will be a time of adjustment for everyone when Madison arrives, but you will balance everything just wonderfully.

Thank you for all of your notes and prayers. I think I'm having another setback now and I'm getting quite discouraged. Plus, I'm feeling a little hurt because they knew at church last week that I was going to the hospital. No one from my class called, or emailed, or posted on FB. The only call I got was from the lady down the street who attends our church. Not even the pastor! What got me going tonight was getting out S.S. class prayer list and I wasn't even on it! At least God doesn't let us know.

Chelle said...

So sweet! And bitter sweet for you, I am sure!

Unknown said...

What a brave girl! I love the note Caitlin's teacher had you write, too. Makes you feel good that she is in such great care while she's with someone else!

Vernita Hoyt said...

Caitlin is so beautiful! Can't believe she's in kindergarten this year. That's how old Zain was when he first moved here from California. He's now 12 years and entered jr. high school this year. Love the note you wrote to her.